Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement in August, 1854. He claimed section 9-10 which the Town of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon implemented and the Township was sorted out in 1858 covering 81 square a long way. Originally called Clinton, St. Joseph bought its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Town was designed in 1890. As the township grew, so does the needs of its citizens, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their agenda in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a open public well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and placed liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also issues and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was organized, which happens to be the St. Joseph Flame Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the people after multiple years of hardship because of the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering the time to milk cows so more time could be allocated to crops and dog care. Soon after, World Warfare 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to struggle.
After the conflict ended people were in a position to get their lives back on the right track, at least for a while, read more before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in place so lots of the farmers considered making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the market crash. Using the depression effecting everyone in town, the community needed to remain together more than ever. Through a national grant, the Council could hire the unemployed to help clean and maintain the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially came into the united states into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens received out more info since many items were in short supply. In those days St. Joseph had a people of around 1050, shedding 10 heroic military to the war. The community remained strong and ongoing to increase the Village, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, plus a new Community well. In 1959, St. Joseph began fluoridating its water supply, and goes on to take action.